Monday, April 7, 2008

A Cup Of Tea

I had to post about this book I am reading called Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. It is an incredible true story about one man's mission of building schools for children in Pakistan. He went over there to climb K2 and wandered into this villiage on his deathbed. They cared for him, and he formed a strong bond with these people; realizing their children had no means of education, he committed himself to building them a school. In a world of extreme poverty, he saw education as the best way to help them (and especially educating the girls).
In one village, Greg arranged for a young woman to get healthcare training from a clinic 150 km away and bought medical supplies for her. Prior to taking over her village's healthcare, people often died from diarrhea and other sicknesses. She states: "After five years, with good water from new pipes (which Greg funded), and teaching the people how to clean their children, and use clean food, not a single person has died from these problems. It's my great interest to continue to develop myself in this field, and pass on my training to other women. Now that we have made such progress, not a single person in this area believes women should not be educated."
If you get a chance to read this book, I would highly recommend it!

2 comments:

Jenni Peay said...

My mom just told me to read this book the other day, we will have to chat about it when I finish it..

Brettman said...

Heather:

I bought it months ago and it is sitting on my nightstand. Good to know that great minds read alike...